About The Award:
The Canada Gairdner Award celebrates the world’s best biomedical and global health researchers through seven annual awards.
The Gairdner Foundation was established in 1957 with the main goal of recognizing and rewarding international excellence in fundamental research that impacts human health. Annually, seven awards are given: five Canada Gairdner International Awards for biomedical research, one John Dirks Canada Gairdner Global Health Award, specifically for impact on global health issues, and one Canada Gairdner Wightman Award, reserved for a Canadian.
395 awards have been bestowed on laureates from 35 countries and of those awardees, 92 have gone on to receive Nobel Prizes.
The Gairdner Foundation also engages in outreach programs across Canada and acts as a convener with the public, policymakers, and other stakeholders on the impact of science on our everyday lives.
In striving to award scientific excellence and to inspire those who follow, Gairdner embraces diverse perspectives in research and encourages the nomination of outstanding scientists, whatever their background.
They invite the community to join us in this effort by nominating outstanding scientists of diverse backgrounds, including those underrepresented in scientific awards and in the research community at large, based on the quality and impact of their research.
Throughout all activities associated with the Canada Gairdner Awards program and associated Canadian and Global outreach programs, Gairdner strives to engage and promote the active participation of individuals of diverse backgrounds and abilities.
- Annually, seven awards are given: five Canada Gairdner International Award for biomedical research, the John Dirks Canada Gairdner Global Health Award, specifically for impact on global health issues, and the Canada Gairdner Wightman Award, reserved for a Canadian scientist showcasing scientific excellence and leadership.
- Laureates each receive $100,000 CDN that can be put towards anything the laureate wishes. Past laureates have used their winnings to support their labs, their research, or even paid for their niece to attend medical school.
- The Canada Gairdner International Awards – 5 Awarded Annually: Awarded to outstanding biomedical scientists who have made original contributions to medicine resulting in an increased understanding of human biology and disease.
- The Canada Gairdner Global Health Award – 1 Awarded Annually (Can be shared): Awarded for scientifically based research that has improved the health and well-being of those facing health inequities worldwide.
- The Canada Gairdner Wightman Award – 1 Awarded Annually: Awarded to a Canadian health researcher who demonstrates extraordinary leadership paired with exceptional science.
- Open to world-learning researchers in biochemical or global health research.
- No posthumous or self-nominations.
Eligible Regions: Open for all
Apply through the given link.
Application Deadline: October 1, 2020
Leave A Comment?