Applications are open for the Internet4Good (I4G) Video Story Contest 2020. In recent times, there has arisen a notion that the best thing young Africans can do with the internet is scam or fraud. Global media platforms like ABC, Vice, BBC, VoA have carried stories on young internet scammers especially from Africa, which have contributed to shaping a negative international image.
This rise of negative reporting around “African internet scams” has fostered a moral panic around internet use and, in some cases, deprived young Africans of ethical internet-related opportunities. With the aim contribute to a positive narrative about the internet for young Africans, the Internet4Good project launches the I4G Story Contest with the support of the Bosch Alumni Network. The Internet4Good project encourages young Africans from across the world to share their positive experiences about using the internet to inspire others and project a better image of themselves within global media.
About Internet4Good project
The Internet4Good project seeks to engage and train media practitioners to responsibly report and set agenda on internet use among young Africans – especially in light of sensational reportage about “African internet scammers”. Young people are at the forefront of internet adoption in Africa. According to Research ICT Africa, African youth between ages 15 and 24 have shown increased mobile phone ownership in recent years. While exposure to information and communication technologies (ICTs) has improved learning, communication, and innovation, it has also increased the risk of perpetuating or falling victim to internet scams. The most popular of these scams is Advance Fee Fraud, in which perpetrators convince an individual that they would receive a huge sum of money if they pay a certain amount of money in advance.
Aim and Benefits of Internet4Good (I4G) Video Story Contest
- First Prize: 150 Euros
- Second Prize: 100 Euros
- People’s Choice Prize (the Highest Online Engagement): 100 Euros
Requirements for Internet4Good (I4G) Video Story Contest Qualification
- Open to citizens of any country in Africa.
- Applicants should be between 18-30 years old.
- Multiple entries are not allowed.
How to Apply?
Interested and qualified? Go to Internet4Good (I4G) on internet4goodafrica.org to apply
- Follow @internet4good on Instagram and follow the page.
- Repost the #I4GVideoStoryContest flier on your Instagram page and tag your friends to apply.
- Upload your video on Instagram describing your positive experiences using the internet, what you have learned, and how it has to impact your life and others. It should be unedited, not more than 1 minute.
- Use the hashtag #I4GVideoStoryContest and tag @internet4good in your caption.
- Your story should address one of these themes: Personal Development, Advocacy, Entrepreneurship, Access to Information, and Networking.
Application Deadline: October 18, 2020
For more details, visit internet4good website